Poverty reduction through employment opportunities for Serbia’s EU accession
Duration: October 2017 – September 2020
Donor: Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency Sida
Budget: 2.056.000,00 EUR
Region: Republic of Serbia, Vranje, Vladicin Han, potential areas of Pirot (Pirot, Babusnica, Bela Palanka, Dimitrovgrad), Duboko (Uzice, Cacak, Ivanjica, Cajetina, Pozega, Kosjeric, Lucani), Srem-Macva (Sremska Mitrovica, Sabavc, Bogatic, Sid), Pancevo (potentially Opovo, Kovin and/or Alibunar)
Target group: socially vulnerable groups: informal waste collectors, unemployed youth, women, Roma
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the inclusion of marginalized Roma minority population and other vulnerable groups (youth, women) into the social and economic life of the country and reduction of poverty among targeted groups.
The specific objective of the project is to provide Roma, with the special focus on Roma women, youth, and other vulnerable local population groups with improved access to the labour market.
The project activities will be accomplished through the self-employment component providing in-kind grants, increasing the youth employability with paid on-the-job-training, and informal waste collectors’ capacity building through various tailor-made trainings. The project envisages at least 310 individual grants (in average per 1500, 2400 and 3600 EUR) and at least 25 young people without formal education in the targeted cities and municipalities in Serbia.
Thus, the main expected results are:
- Created and applied models and mechanism for improved employment access of the vulnerable population,
- Institutions and organizations directly dealing with challenges of vulnerable population with focus on Roma and informal waste collectors increased synergy and communication level,
- Roma women empowered and role models for women entrepreneurship created,
- Raised living standards of targeted groups and empowered to support dependents in their families,
- Additionally decreased unemployment rate through new jobs created by successful traineeship programs and micro and small business supported,
- Local sustainable strategies implementation facilitated through targeted vulnerable population employment and integration of waste collectors.