Help-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. is a German non-governmental relief organisation duly registered with the courts of law in Bonn. In the wake of the war in Afghanistan and thereby caused refugee crisis, members of Parliament of all parties represented in the German Parliament and other distinguished personalities founded Help.
Having provided humanitarian assistance for Afghan refugees fled to Pakistan, Help has enlarged its relief assistance to numerous countries.
The organisation Help provides assistance based on the real needs regardless of the race, creed or nationality of the recipient.
Help today has been active worldwide in emergency assistance as well as in rehabilitation and development projects. Whenever possible we are linking emergency aid with self-help. One of the basic aims of Help is to encourage the efforts made by the communities affected by the catastrophes and misery in order to have them improve their living circumstances themselves.
Therefore, Help is closely cooperating with indigenous partners and non-governmental organisations, knowing that these people are best familiar with local conditions, culture and needs. With its projects Help is not only covering immediate humanitarian needs, but also fighting the causes which resulted in humanitarian catastrophes thus aiming at durable solutions. Trying to work most effectively Help is coordinating its project activities with all national and international organisations.
Help Mission in the Republic of Serbia has been operating in Serbia since November 1999 providing socio-economic assistance for vulnerable individuals – refugees, internally displaced persons and Roma population.
Main projects implemented by Help in Serbia focus on following sectors:
- Socio-economic support programmes and micro-enterprise development through income generation assistance
- Support to the closure of collective centres by providing alternative housing solutions
- Trainings and support for start-up businesses
- Construction and rehabilitation projects
- Humanitarian relief projects: distribution o food, hygienic items and firewood.
With its activities Help is supporting implementation of several National Strategies: the Poverty Reduction Strategy, the National Strategy for Resolving the Problems of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons, the Strategy for the Development of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises and Entrepreneurship in the Republic of Serbia. Furthermore, Help’s intervention in Serbia contributes to the achievements of Millennium Development Goals.
Project examples of Help-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. worldwide:
- Rehabilitation and reconstruction programmes in the sectors of health, housing, water and sanitation and other infra-structure in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, India, Iraq, Iran, Chechnya, Serbia, Montenegro
- Reconstruction of schools and kindergartens in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia
- Humanitarian demining and mine-awareness programmes in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chad and Iraq
- Humanitarian assistance for victims affected by the conflicts in Chechnya and Iraq
- Emergency assistance for earthquake victims in El Salvador, India and Iran
- Establishment of mobile clinics offering primary health services to the earthquake-affected rural population in the area of Gujarat India
- Reconstruction of schools, voluntary trainings and establishment of micro-credit systems in Sayla district India
- Self-help programmes and shelter repair of private homes and collective centres in Montenegro
- Food aid, distribution of seeds and support of medical posts in Zimbabwe.
In realization of projects and programmes Help counts on public donations. On the other hand very important forms of funding are governmental, European and third parties funds.
Some of donors are:
- The German Foreign Office
- The German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- The European Community Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO)
- The European Agency for Reconstruction
- Other Directorates General of the European Commission
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- The Netherlands Government
- The British Government
- The Caritas Austria
- The Franciscans Congregation Cologne
- The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
>According to the legal status of Help, we are obliged to undergo an annual audit carried out by independent external auditors. Being a member of the German fundraising community Help voluntarily undergoes an annual audit by the Central Federal Institute for Social Issues (DZI) Berlin, based on the transparency of financial management and the use of earmarked funds. A particular certificate is awarded and published on an annual basis confirming the reliability of our organisation.
Help Board Members:
- Rudolf Bindig, Chairperson
- Angelika Graf
- Klaus-Jürgen Hedrich
- Barbara Höll
- Anette Hübinger
- Angelika Josten-Janssen
- Dr. Obeidullah Mogaddedi
- Manuel Sarrazin
- Christian Schmidt
- Dr. Christiane Ratjen-Damerau
Managing Director: Karin Settele
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V.
Reuterstr. 159, D-53113 Bonn, Germany
Tel./Fax: +49 (0) 228 915 29-0, +49 (0) 228 915 29-99
Visit our webpages: